Thursday, May 5, 2011

It doesn't have to be all or nothing

I'm 25 years old and I've had two boyfriends. In fact, I only ever dated two boys. I married the second.

Not exactly a man-eater. I believed, to some extent, that there was an expectation on me to marry every gentleman with whom I decided to spend some time.

After my separation, I struggled with this. I adore men. I have wonderful male friends, and delightful suitors. I'm often found in a group of gents. But, I didn't want to marry or even fall in love with any of them.

At first I felt guilty. Then, slowly, I learned to appreciate the importance of being in "like." My short-term romantic entanglements were fun. We could still be friends afterwards. They'd teach me things, take me places, comfort and entertain me. I learned to shed the guilt and just go with the flow, enjoying exploring what I like in a fella, and what I don't.

Then this week, while browsing Thought Catalog, I came across the "Open letter to the men I've casually dated." This piece was an eloquent justification of what I was feeling, so I just had to share.

As for what's next for me, who knows? I'm in no rush for boyfriend number three. For now, I'm just enjoying the pleasures of being in like.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! "For now, I'm just enjoying the pleasures of being in like." Glad to hear it. And thanks for the link to the Thought Catalog - very cool site.

    David
    TIWIA.org

    ps. Tiwia is looking for guest authors. Let me know if you would be interested.

    ReplyDelete